Government relaxes social distancing measures under Prevention and Control of Disease Ordinance
The Government will gazette today (June 16) directions and amendments under the Prevention and Control of Disease (Requirements and Directions) (Business and Premises) Regulation (Cap. 599F) and the Prevention and Control of Disease (Prohibition on Group Gathering) Regulation (Cap. 599G) to extend the social distancing measures in relation to catering businesses, scheduled premises and group gatherings in public places, as well as make appropriate adjustments and relaxations having regard to the latest situation. The measures will come into effect on June 19, 2020 for a period of 14 days till July 2, 2020.
Key requirements under the latest measures
Following the directions and amendments under Cap. 599F and Cap. 599G, the latest relaxed social distancing measures will be as follows –
Group gatherings (Cap. 599G)
(1) The number of persons allowed in group gatherings in public places will be relaxed from eight to 50. Unless exempted, the prohibition on group gatherings at public places will continue during the abovementioned 14 days.
(2) Group gatherings at catering business premises (such as banquets at those premises) would be exempted from the restriction on the number of persons at group gatherings under Cap. 599G. This relaxation has taken into account the fact that all catering businesses and scheduled premises subject to Cap. 599F are required to follow a series of infection control requirements and restrictions, and that group gatherings at scheduled premises have been exempted from the restriction on the number of persons at group gatherings under Cap. 599G since May 8.
(3) Having regard to the latest limit on the number of persons at group gatherings, corresponding adjustments will be made to the exempted group gatherings under Cap. 599G.
Catering businesses and scheduled premises (Cap. 599F)
(4) On catering businesses, other than the relaxation measure mentioned in item (2) above, the limit on the number of persons allowed to be seated together at one table will be removed while the number of persons allowed to be seated together at one table in bars/pubs will be increased from four to eight. Other requirements and restrictions on catering business premises will be maintained.
(5) On scheduled premises, the limit on the number of persons at each facility/group/room at these premises will be increased from eight to 16 persons, and the number of persons allowed to be seated together at one table in clubs or nightclubs will be increased from four to eight. Other requirements and restrictions on scheduled premises will be maintained and enhanced based on practical situations.
(6) Live performance and dancing will be allowed to resume at catering business and scheduled premises, but persons working at the premises and performers must wear masks all the time except when there is some form of partition or adequate distancing which could serve as effective buffer between such persons/performers and customers (or for places of public entertainment, some form of partition or adequate distancing which could serve as effective buffer between such persons/performers and customers/the audience).
For more details, please refer to the following press release from the Hong Kong Government.